Monday, September 20, 2010

Part 1: How'd I get here?

The best thing happened to me. My prayers were answered. I was off to college to the school of my choice. The worst thing happened to me. My prayers were answered. I was off to college to the school of my choice. It was hard there. Maybe too hard. More like a place to weed out rather than cultivate. I have no regrets. It all went according to plan. I promised myself and God that I would do my very best, and I did. It just wasn't good enough.

I loved college. It was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed watching sports and spending time with friends. Dating was great fun when others just went with it.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to graduate with. Everyone wants a great paying job that you love. I could find courses for one or the other but not both. General business classes were not going so well so I turned to my love of writing. The only problem is that there isn't a degree for that that guarantees good pay.

No worries! I would go on faith. I would work hard and since I had a weakness in grammar I would earn an English degree, gaining practice in writing at the same time. Except my high school courses prepared me for English courses by skipping grammar lessons, and my college experience assumed we knew grammar from high school so it focused on literary analysis primarily, just as my high school teachers suspected it would. People with English degrees become English professors who teach about literature or take editing skills mostly gained in high school and become editors. I didn't want to become either. I do like posting on blogs though, with all my incomplete sentences, run-ons, and all. One of those equals failure on a paper, but cuts to the chase or explores more in depth on a blog post. I was going to be in the real world soon, whatever that means, so it felt like there would be limited chances to really chase my dreams. I had a decision to make in college about how much time I would spend on professor's agendas and how much I would spend on my own given an opportunity that presented itself in my Junior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment